March 23, 2015

Buying Flaxseeds Online at Amazon

I was looking back at these posts and noticed that it was already nine years ago when I first recommended buying flax seeds online at Amazon. They had only recently opened their grocery and gourmet food section at that time and there was not yet much variety.  At that time in 2006, I was recommending a bulk purchase of flaxseed to use as a staple in industrial kitchens, bakeries, and in school and office cafeterias. Amazon was offering 50 pound bag of flaxseeds for $89 at the time and the cost for shipping those fifty pounds anywhere in the States was just $5.

Well, now the prices for a pound of flaxseed seem much higher but there are hundreds of different options for buying flaxseed on Amazon in almost any quantity, large or small, organic or non-organic, ground or in seed form. Here are the top two rated brands and recommended buys;

This is the most popular flax product on Amazon. You'll get one pound for $10 dollars. It is already ground, so keep it in your fridge or the oils in it will go rancid. This brand is favored for their freshness and the expiration date is always reliable. 


Bob's Red Mill Golden Flaxseed is a favorite on Amazon with very high reviews.  This package contains six pounds of unground flaxseeds for $15. For an extra $2 you can also buy the organic version.

Here are one person's comments;  "it's exactly what I was looking for. I grind my own, as suggested by pretty much every article I've read about flax, and I couldn't be happier with this purchase. I'm on a low carb diet and add this to my morning shake that I make (3T ground flax, 1 scoop no-carb protein powder, 1/2c egg beaters, 1/4c to 1/2c cream or coconut milk, 4-5 ice cubes). YUM. This flax has a very mild nutty flavor but doen't taste like much when added to anything else. It reminds me of a less-overpowering and fresher tasting wheat germ." 

No comments: